With the 32nd annual Victorian Seniors Festival fast approaching, senior Victorians have reason to be excited.
More than 1,500 events are planned and seniors are invited to explore Melbourne’s Docklands when the harbourside community is showcased for the festival in October. The event will host a rich array of social, cultural, learning and active living events for Victorian seniors.
Announced in unison with the release of the festival’s program, Minister for Ageing David Davis released the Docklands Seniors Card Age Friendly Partners Program, designed to get senior Victorians out and about in a comfortable environment. Mr Davis said the program is a three-way partnership between the Melbourne City Council, the Docklands Chamber of Commerce and the Victorian Seniors Card Program to make the Docklands precinct more age-friendly and thus, celebrate seniors’ contribution to society.
“The Napthine Government is working to ensure our communities, such as Docklands, are more inclusive and welcoming places for older people,” Mr Davis said.
“This program will promote Docklands as an age-friendly shopping environment, where older people enjoy better customer service, improved facilities, and access to a wide range of Seniors Card discounts from local businesses … Creating a more age-friendly environment can be as easy as providing menus and bills with large writing, storing products for seniors on easy-to-reach shelves and making sure floors are free from obstructions at all times.”
Docklands Chamber of Commerce President Joh Maxwell said Docklands Chamber of Commerce is happy to be involved with the Age Friendly Precinct Program, a 12-month program intended to make seniors feel welcome.
“Residents and visitors have the opportunity to enjoy Docklands with open spaces, flat walking areas, waterfront views, activities, shopping and relaxation options – Docklands is the place to be,” Mrs Maxwell said.
Events at Docklands during the festival include:
· A short ferry tour of Victoria Harbour that will depart half hourly from 10.30am – 2.30pm from October 5-12. Free for Seniors Card holders;
· Mission to Seafarers tour of the historic mission, an art show and morning tea. Free for Seniors Card holders;
· Wonderland Fun Park Grandparents Day on Sunday 5 and 12 October. Grandparents can take rides free with children;
· Spiegletent spectacular jazz festival, featuring Pearly Shells and other jazz artists on Friday 10th October. Free to Seniors Card Holders; and
· Activities at Library on the Dock, including older people’s stories, technology training sessions, afternoon tea and authors talk, tai chi, cooking and table tennis.
Copies of the Victorian Seniors Festival’s program are now available at Coles stores, libraries, council offices, neighbourhood and community houses and University of the Third Age premises.