Opened in September 2020, the Port Stephens Koala Sanctuary offers visitors a unique opportunity to see koalas in their natural habitat as well as supporting their long-term rehabilitation and preservation.
The Port Stephens Koala Sanctuary is a partnership between Port Stephens Council and Port Stephens Koalas, a volunteer group that aims to provide the world best practice standards of care to sick, injured and orphaned koalas to give them the best opportunity to be returned to the wild.
Construction of the $9M project is complete and visitors to the Koala Sanctuary will enjoy the following features:
- Koala Centre – visitor admissions and guest reception areas
- Sanctuary Story Walk – offering visitors an immersive educational experience of the koala habitat
- Koala Hospital – Visit the state-of-the-art Koala Hospital with Intensive Care Unit treatment rooms and holding pens. Take a look through the hospital viewing window as veterinary staff carry out examinations and administer treatment to koala inpatients’ (when underway).
- Newcastle Airport SKYwalk and elevated viewing platform – offering a unique treetop perspective into the koala’s natural habitat, a perfect photo opportunity
- Fat Possum Café – offering a range of ‘grab and go’ eats and treats, great barista coffee and a range of quality souvenirs in a tranquil bushland setting
- Deluxe 4 star accommodation – guests will be able to wake up with the koalas by staying in onsite four star glamping tents.
Visitors to the Sanctuary will enjoy:
- Unique experiences with koalas in a natural and idyllic bushland setting.
- Tailored education sessions from local guides on koala care, rehabilitation and eventual return back to the wild.
- A new opportunity to directly contribute to the preservation of local koalas in Port Stephens.
Attractions of the Koala Sanctuary
A new opportunity to directly contribute to the preservation of koalas in Port Stephens.
Unique experiences with koalas in a natural and idyllic bushland setting.
Newcastle Airport SKYwalk
The Newcastle Airport SKYwalk and viewing platform is a 225 metre in length elevated pathway and viewing platform, offering a unique ‘tree top’ perspective into the koala’s natural habitat, a perfect photo opportunity and educational experience.
Visit the state-of-the-art Koala Hospital with Intensive Care Unit treatment rooms and holding pens. Take a look through the hospital viewing window as veterinary staff carry out examinations and administer treatment to koala inpatients (subject to treatment times).
Fat Possum Café
Offers a range of ‘grab and go’ eats and treats, baristas coffees as well as offering a range of quality souvenirs and gifts from our retail kiosk as a memento to remember your special day.
Visit our Koala Centre that houses our Visitor Admissions and Guest Reception where our friendly staff will be able to answer all of your questions and enquiries.
Sanctuary Story Walk
The Sanctuary Story Walk is a 250 metre in length meandering pathway offering an immersive educational experience for all ages telling the story of koala and its habitat through artistic sculptural representations.
All our excursions start off with a tailored educational tour from one of our local guides on care, rehabilitation and what is needed for koalas to survive in the wild.
Stay with us
Wake up with koalas! An opportunity to stay overnight in a 4 star ‘glamping style tent’ within the Sanctuary grounds. Our Glamping Tents include ensuites, some with King Size beds, air-conditioning, mini-bar, kitchenettes and huge balconies with Sanctuary views.