Planning the trip – prepare a checklist of what needs to be done. . You will find helpful advice at the Experience Caravanning and Camping websites click on the Useful Info icon.
Your vehicles, both car and caravan – find someone to provide advice on what to do to ensure that you travel safely. Obtain advice from a mechanic, RACV and the Police.
Caravan and car maintenance – what do you need to know and to have in case of a breakdown in an isolated area?
Have you checked whether your vehicle is in good mechanical condition?
If you are towing a caravan are you sure all mechanical and electrical goods are in sound working order?
Preparing for your trip
- Who will look after your house while you’re away?
- Do you need a house sitter?
- Who will maintain the property – house and garden?
- If you can’t take a pet with you, what will you do with it?
- Do you have adequate insurance cover? What kind of insurance do you need to consider?
- Ask the Post Office to hold your mail for you or have it diverted?
- Nominate someone as a main contact back home in case of emergencies?
- Leave an itinerary and your contact details with someone in case you get lost?
- Work out how you will you keep in touch with people – Radio communication, satellite communication etc?
- Make sure you’ve got adequate access to finances while you’re away?
- If you take medication check with your doctor to see if you need any scripts to take with you?
- Do you have enough medication if you need it?
- Give someone responsible the name of your Doctor in case of an emergency?
- Weather forecasts – When is the best time to travel? How do find out what the weather will be like on your trip? What are the best weather forecasting web sites? www.bom.gov.au will show you live weather and advanced predicted weather for all Australian regions.
- An unusual but useful site particularly if you are travelling with children: www.toiletmap.gov.au which is the National Toilet Map website of public toilets. You can use the toilet planner at this site to identify toilet stops for a journey.
Packing for the trip
- Find out the best way to secure all the things in your caravan so that they don’t fly around inside while you’re on the road?
- Find out the safest way to store gas and how to avoid accidents?
- Take canned or dry food with you that is easy to store and supplement that with fresh food bought along the way.
- What do the Police recommend for safety considerations? –contact your local police for their advice.
- How to look after your back on your travels – sitting for a long time when in a vehicle. What’s the best mattress for a caravan?
- Get opinions from your Doctor, Chiropractors or Physiotherapist
- Before you leave on your road trip work out who to call and how if there’s a medical emergency while you are on the road.
- Do you need to consider any vaccinations if you’re travelling around Australia? What about updating tetanus shots or considering a flu shot.
- For tips on how to put together a first aid kit to take on a caravanning trip contact St John’s Ambulance for advice
Games people play
- Plan to entertain yourself while you are away on the road and on site – books, art materials or DVD’s
- Take some games for the whole family to play.
Travelling with pets – Ask your vet the following questions
- Is there a directory or book that tells you which sites around the country are pet friendly? Check out www.doggyholiday.com – a guide to many of the Australian holiday destinations which are dog friendly.
- Should you have a separate first aid emergency kit for your pet? What to do if an animal is bitten by a snake or has an allergic reaction to an insect bite.
- What to avoid if you have an animal susceptible to plant allergies.
- What is the best food to take on a trip for your pet?
For all your caravanning and camping needs, visit ExperienceCaravanningandCamping.com.au. The website offers a range of over 800 quality caravan holiday parks conveniently found using the ‘Find a Holiday Park’ function on the home page. While there, you can also sign up to the FREE VIP Club for interesting and exciting editorials which can help assist you with planning your next adventure on the road.