What’s antioxidant, sulforaphane, mineral and nutrient rich and can do wonders for your body (inside and out)? Baby broccoli (broccoli sprouts) and boy are they putting ‘mature’ broccoli to shame
- Sulforawho? Sulforaphane is a compound found in sprouts and veggies that is well studies for its ability to protect against various cancer, reduce the risk of heart, ocular and numerous other diseases and support the brain and digestive system! Sounds pretty good right? Well, broccoli sprouts contain up to 100 times higher concentrations of glucoraphanin and sulforaphane than mature plants, and is the go-to considering the cooking of mature plants like full grown broccoli destroys sulforaphane. So believe it or not, this compound has some pretty smart people back it up and looks like it can do wonders for your body.
- Fight infection: Studies have shown that sulforaphane suppressed the growth of 23 out of 28 different bacterial and fungal infections when tested.
- An in and out glow: Though it’s always a plus when you can see your face illuminating after beauty product applications, the antioxidants, nutrients like vitamin C and minerals like zinc and copper found in broccoli sprout powder actually boosts your skins immunity. Essentially, all this goodness helps to maintain healthy skin!
- That sparking in your eyes: Broccoli contains beta-carotene, vitamin A, phosphorous and other vitamins such as B complex, vitamin C and E. All this jargon means it is rich nutrients that help with eye health. It has to power to protect eyes against muscular degeneration, cataract and in some cases repairs existing damage.
- It’s what’s on the inside that counts: Since broccoli sprouts are rich in fiber, it can help get rid of toxins through the digestive tract and has special phytonutrients that help in the body’s detox process. This means that the body gets rids of unwanted contaminants. It’s a great source of fibre and phytonutrients to ensure your number 2’s are in tip top shape.