Chocolate Pistachio Macaroons
These light chocolatey treats are delicious with a cup of tea and store well in an airtight container. You can cut the recipe in half for a smaller batch of macaroons.
Prep time: 15–20 minutes • Cooking time: 25 minutes • Servings: 48
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 400 g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 45 g (½ cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 315 g chopped toasted unsalted pistachio nuts
- Preheat oven to 120°C. Line 3 large baking trays with baking paper.
- In large bowl of electric mixer, at low speed, beat egg whites until frothy. At high speed gradually beat in sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until stiff peaks form when beaters are raised from bowl. Add vanilla.
- Place cocoa powder in a fine sieve and sift over meringue mixture. Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in cocoa and all but ¼ cup pistachios until no white streaks remain.
- Drop 1 heaped tablespoon of mixture onto baking trays, leaving 1 cm between each. Sprinkle with remaining pistachios.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until dry and slightly cracked on top. Cool on paper on wire racks then peel gently from paper.
Per serving (macaroon): Kilojoules 326; Fat 3.3 g (Saturated <1 g); Sodium 10 mg; Carbohydrate 9.7 g (Dietary Fibre <1 g); Protein 2 g.
Published by: For Dummies, April 2014
Print ISBN: 9780730304845
Price: AUD: $34.95, NZD$39.99
To enjoy more tasty recipes from Living Gluten-Free for Dummies is available at good book stores for the RRP $34.95[related_ad category=”996″ max_size=”3″ title=”Related Offers”] [related_ad category=”6″ max_size=”3″ title=”Related Stories”]