This one ingredient could be hiding in your daily granola….and it isn’t healthy for you! Erin Young, health writer & founder of Zen Green Tea, shares with us some healthy matcha and turmeric granola recipes.
Sugar is a major hidden problem in the diet of Australians. Store bought granola’s can be a big culprit often hiding more than half your daily sugar in one serve. We’ve got you covered with our healthy homemade granola recipe.
Do your wallet and your health a favour, by swapping your branded granola for a healthy homemade granola.
Granola is widely known for being a delicious, healthy breakfast – packed full of vitamins, minerals, and fibre. However, in today’s supermarkets, many brands contain so many additives and sugar that will likely do more damage, than good, to your health!
Why granola has the power to be great
The basic ingredients in granola still have the same amazing health benefits.
- Oats have an incredible amount of fibre and iron. This helps regulate digestion and prevent constipation.
- Nuts and seeds add unsaturated fats and protein.
Together, they control the blood sugar levels. This helps keep hunger at bay, and provide long lasting energy. As well as this, fibre and minerals can lower cholesterol, and prevent diseases like heart disease and cancer.
But don’t be fooled by the sugary, supermarket brands
Due to the added sugars in some supermarket brands, granola has even been described as a “grain-based dessert”, putting it alongside the likes of cookies, doughnuts, and cake.
This can then have many negative effects, as studies have shown that too much sugar can:
- Affect the pumping mechanism of your heart, and therefore lead to heart failure.
- Prevent insulin from working, which can lead to cancer or diabetes.
- Cause liver damage, by high levels of fructose and glucose – which has a similar toxic effect to alcohol.
So, we went shopping to scout out exactly how much sugar is in these brands of granola
The recommended maximum intake of sugar is roughly 50g (12 tsp) per day. We found that the majority of supermarket granolas contained more than half the recommended daily sugar allowance, per one cup serve. These granolas also ranged in price with some well over $15 per kilo and many containing artificial preservatives.
So, take control and make it yourself
Homemade granola is easy to make – and delicious! Plus, you can pick your ingredients and the level of sugar, so you don’t consume unnecessary refined sugars or preservatives.
Here are two simple recipes:
- Matcha Green Tea, Coconut, Goji & Chia Granola
- Turmeric, Apricot, Coconut & Ginger Granola
Both have the same base of toasted coconut, oat & nut – but we’ve added different superfoods to increase the health benefits.
The Matcha, Coconut, Goji & Chia Granola contains matcha tea powder. Matcha is known for its antioxidants, which help with weight loss, energy levels, and fighting cancer.
And the Turmeric, Apricot, Coconut & Ginger Granola contains turmeric matcha powder – known for its powerful anti-inflammatory qualities.
Ingredients for the Base
6 tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 cups of rolled oats
3 cups coconut flakes
2 cups mixed nuts, chopped – e.g. almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts
1 tsp fine-grain sea salt
3 tbsp honey or maple syrup to sweeten
Additional Ingredients: Matcha Green Tea, Coconut Goji & Chia Granola
2 tbsp Zen Green Matcha Tea Powder
2 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp Goji Berries
Dollop of coconut yoghurt
Additional Ingredients: Turmeric, Apricot, Coconut & Ginger Granola
2 tbsp Zen Turmeric Matcha Powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
½ cup dried apricots, chopped
Dollop of coconut yoghurt
Fresh apricot sliced
Dusting of cinnamon
Instructions For Both Recipes
- Preheat oven to 120 degrees Celsius
- Mix all the base + flavour ingredients in a bowl. Spread evenly on baking paper on a tray and bake for about 15-20 minutes, until golden, turning halfway.
- When golden and toasted, remove from the oven and cool.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Serve with milk or with our gourmet serving suggestions. Enjoy!
To redeem this exclusive discount, simply:
- Visit Zen Green Matcha Tea
- Add product/s to your shopping cart
- Use the coupon “LBA10” for 10% off your first purchase and free shipping
- Orders will be shipped to you